Generous scholarships are available to both music majors and students of other majors at UAB. Music Scholarships awarded by the Department of Music are based on individual auditions before the music faculty. Awards are made for one academic year and are divided into two equal payments for each of the two semesters of the year. Students wishing to become a music major should plan to audition on one of the department’s music major audition days and are automatically considered for one or more scholarships. Non-majors may audition with the Director of Choral Activities or the Director of Bands at any time. Prospective students should plan to audition as early as possible in their senior year of high school or, if transferring to UAB from another college or university, early in the fall prior to the year of their intended enrollment.
- Alys Robinson Stephens Scholarship: One award of up to $1,000 for a student in any music discipline.
- Dean’s Scholarships: Two $1,000 awards for beginning freshmen or transfer students.
- Music UAB Scholarships: Two $500 awards for any instrument or voice.
- James Darrell McAnnally Piano Scholarship: One $750 award for a student in piano performance.
- Myrtle Jones Steele Piano Scholarship: One $1,500 award for a student in piano performance.
- Stevie Wonder Music Scholarships: Three $500 awards for students majoring in Music Technology.
- Music Technology Scholarships: Five $500 awards for students majoring in Music Technology.
- Choral Scholarships: Students must participate in Concert Choir, Chamber Singers, Women’s Chorale and/or UAB Opera as determined by the director(s).
- Band Scholarships: Students must participate in Marching Band, Wind Symphony, Jazz Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, and/or Blazer Band as determined by the director(s).